Search This Blog

Monday, December 23, 2013

Persimmons a berry?

I found a new love of my life....the fruit persimmons. When I tried this last month I could not believe it is good. So when we went to Costco I bought two packs of persimmons but then it is not that ripe when you buy it in Costco so I let it ripen but I found out it takes time for this fruit to ripe though. But what the heck I ate it anyway and the taste. it taste like star apple and lychess it does taste really good! 
Persimmons are the edible fruit of a number of species of trees in the genus DiospyrosDiospyros is in the family Ebenaceae. The most widely cultivated species is the Asian persimmon, Diospyros kaki. In color the ripe fruit of the cultivated strains range from light yellow-orange to dark red-orange depending on the species and variety. They similarly vary in size from 1.5 to 9 cm (0.5 to 4 in) in diameter, and in shape the varieties may be spherical, acorn-, or pumpkin-shaped.[1] The calyx generally remains attached to the fruit after harvesting, but becomes easy to remove once the fruit is ripe. The ripe fruit has a high glucose content. The protein content is low, but it has a balanced protein profile. Persimmon fruits have been put to various medicinal and chemical uses.
Like the tomato, persimmons are not popularly considered to be berries, but in terms of botanical morphology the fruit is in fact a berry. (source:wikipedia)


No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin